What do they say about grandmother’s secret recipes? Something along the lines of “gold” and “precious”.
I remember asking my grandmother, who adores me greatly, what is the secret to her wrinkle-less and youthful skin and she gave me a recipe that I want to share with you today. I’ve tried it a million times, edited it and added my own sweet (pun intended) touch. It works like a charm for my skin-type; olive-skinned (towards the fairer side), oily on the T-zones but dry otherwise and blemished!
It gives my face a unique glow, brightens up the complexion and definitely acts as a purifier for your pores! Here it goes –
- 2 teaspoons of Haldi (Turmeric) – I recommend getting pure organic turmeric because in some of the cooking brands, you might get impurities in there – the organic ones have the most anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties!
- 1 tablespoon of yoghurt – I recommend Greek 0% fat yoghurt because it contains good bacteria and the milk in it helps to brighten up the complexion
- 1 teaspoon of milk – Just because I like a thinner consistency (and it activates the honey)
- 1 teaspoon of Manuka honey – I recommend getting a Manuka honey with a higher UMF rating (preferably 10+ and above)
- 2 tablespoons of Gram flour or besan (chick pea flour): this works as a good exfoliater
- Lemon juice – as much as you can handle (this is absolutely crucial to me because it lightens the skin but if you have cuts or have recently shaved your face – take this out as it might burn)
- Coconut oil – I usually make the paste and take a little out and then add the coconut oil to that because of my combination skin – I only put the coconut oil paste on areas of my face that are dry (so I put the rest on my T-zone)
Mix them all in a bowl, make sure the consistency is like a paste but not too thick! I like using my fingers to put it on my face. Leave it on for 10 – 15 minutes (or until its completely dry) and then scrub it out before washing your face! The glow will be visible almost immediately!
We Indians have been using this recipe for centuries! We put a similar paste on brides-to-be to make them fair and beautiful and it works like a charm! Try it and let me know how it goes 🙂
If you do this once a week, you are sure to get people complimenting you on your face!